- Affordable apartments honoring Stevenson officially open at Brightwalk
Oct. 18, 2017
On the site of the old Double Oaks Apartments off Statesville Avenue, the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Housing Partnership is developing Brightwalk.
The barracks-style 1950s development of 576 apartments in 165 buildings ...
- Stevenson honored at Gantt Center gala
– Photos above and below by T. Ortega Gaines for the Gantt Center.
Dec. 3, 2016
Sarah Stevenson was a founding board member of the Harvey B. Gantt Center in Charlotte. She ...
- Regional honors for support of human relations activities
Oct. 24, 2000
Sarah Stevenson was among those honored for her support of human rights activities at a regional honors ceremony in Cramerton sponsored by the Gaston Human Relations Commission and ...
- Freedom Fund Banquet 2000
Aug. 25, 2000
Sarah Stevenson was to be among those honored at the NAACP’s Freedom Fund Banquet.
- A note of congratulations
Aug. 30, 1998
Jim Wright’s note about the 1998 Women’s Equality Day Award.
- 18th Annual Women’s Equality Day Awards
Aug. 26, 1998
Sarah Stevenson and Annelle Houk of the League of Women Voters headlined the 18th Annual Women’s Equality Day/150th Anniversary of the Women’s Rights Movement Celebration at Charlotte’s Grady ...
- Tom Bush letter on Minority Affairs Advisory work
Jan. 28, 1998
Tom Bush was chair of the Mecklenburg Board of County Commissioners when this note was written.
- Honored on Women’s Equality Day
Aug. 26, 1995
Sarah Stevenson received this commendation for volunteer service in conjunction with Charlotte-Mecklenburg’s celebration of Women’s Equality Day.
- CRC honor for volunteer service
June 1, 1995
Sarah Stevenson is honored for volunteer work with the Community Relations Committee.
- Mecklenburg Bar’s Liberty Bell Award
May 4, 1995
Sydnor Thompson gave this presentation when Sarah Stevenson was named the 1995 winner of the Mecklenburg Bar’s Liberty Bell Award, “honoring an individual who has performed community service ...
- 1992 Woman of the Year
Jan. 27, 1993
Sarah Stevenson was honored as 1992 Woman of the Year. This clipping appears to be from the Charlotte Post.
- A thank-you from Bob Walton
June 1, 1987
County Commissioner Rev. Bob Walton sent a clipping and a thank you to Sarah Stevenson for her part in headlining a successful fundraiser for the Afro-American Cultural Center.
- Stevenson ‘a force for … quiet, lasting, stable change’
Jan. 22, 1986
An Observer editorial marks the award of the Community Relations Committee’s Martin Luther King Jr. Award to Sarah Stevenson.
- Sarah Stevenson Day
Feb. 24, 1985
An Observer report on how about 100 people gathered to honor Sarah Stevenson at a salute by the Black Women’s Caucus. Mayor Harvey Gantt and Commissioners Chair Carly ...
- Leaving leadership role in business women’s group
July 19, 1984
Members honored Sarah Stevenson at the conclusion of a term as president of the Charlotte chapter of the National Association of Negro Business and Professional Women’s Clubs, Inc. ...
- Acknowledgement for Resolutions Committee work
March 12, 1983
Sarah Stevenson received this certificate for her work with the Southeast District of the National Association of Negro Business and Professional Women’s Clubs, Inc.
- Charlotte Post’s Unique Black Women recognition
Feb. 10, 1983
In an interview with the Charlotte Post, Sarah Stevenson focused on black students having higher expectations for themselves, and greater parent involvement in education.
- Mayor Knox’s Certificate of Merit
Sept. 29, 1982
Charlotte Mayor Eddie Knox presented this certificate of merit to Sarah Stevenson.
- NAACP outstanding service award
April 1, 1974
Sarah Stevenson received an outstanding service award from the NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund at its annual meeting.