- 2020: Sarah Stevenson’s move into care facilityThe year 2020 turned tortuous just weeks after the New Year as COVID-19 spread rapidly across America, sickening and killing people of all ages. This is not the place to ...
- Affordable apartments honoring Stevenson officially open at BrightwalkOct. 18, 2017 On the site of the old Double Oaks Apartments off Statesville Avenue, the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Housing Partnership is developing Brightwalk. The barracks-style 1950s development of 576 apartments in 165 buildings ...
- John may arrive in JanuaryDec. 13, 2016: Sarah reports that John Malindi has received support for his flight to the States. He’s currently scheduled to arrive Jan. 2 or Jan. 3.
- Stevenson honored at Gantt Center gala– Photos above and below by T. Ortega Gaines for the Gantt Center. Dec. 3, 2016 Sarah Stevenson was a founding board member of the Harvey B. Gantt Center in Charlotte. She ...
- Appreciation for service to Missouri SynodOct. 23, 1998 The writer, president of the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod, wrote Sarah Stevenson on the completion of Stevenson’s term on the church’s Board for Black Ministry.
- Plaudits for work at Prince of Peace LutheranJan, 9, 2000 This letter was written to mark the end of Sarah Stevenson’s 1999 term as president of the congregation of her church, Prince of Peace Lutheran on Beatties Ford ...
- Coalition of Lutherans in Black MinistrySept. 19, 1992 Sarah Stevenson received this certificate for her “pioneering efforts, leadership and continuing support” from the Coalition of Lutherans in Black Ministry.
- Growing the Dream Awards 2016Photos courtesy of Jon Strayhorn
- Sarah Stevenson says thanks to supporters for boosting fundNov. 17, 2015 Sarah Stevenson, who co-founded the Tuesday Morning Breakfast Forum, used the Forum this morning to announce fundraising results from her Oct. 25 90th birthday celebration.
- 90: Praise and prayers for a committed public servantOct. 25, 2015 “I don’t march,” Sarah Stevenson has often said. But at age 90 she is still bringing people together for community causes. AME Zion Senior Bishop George Battle noted her ...
- Thanks to all who participated in today’s birthday celebrationOct. 25, 2015 Click here for video excerpts from Sunday’s event marking Sarah Stevenson’s 90th birthday and her ongoing efforts to raise money for tuition and fees so that two South African ...
- A look back on occasion of a 90th birthdayOct. 24, 2015
- The ProgramDownload the program as a PDF file.
- ‘We are celebrating, we are celebrating’Oct. 20 2015 Carlenia Ivory made the following announcement at the Tuesday Morning Breakfast Forum.
- Surrounded by friends, and devoted to a missionOct. 1, 2015 Portia writes: “This is the best thing about my job: Because I work with people who are selfless and challenge me to give my best in everything I ...
- That all may eatSept. 19: “The garden is in the Lincoln Heights neighborhood, at an apartment complex. I went with a few students from school as part of my community service hours. “We were removing ...
- Where will you be?Sept. 17: What do Thomas Moore, Portia Motsapi, Ron Carter, Linda Straite Lynch, Bishop George Battle and Treva Pettis have in common? They’ll all be at Sarah Stevenson’s 90th Birthday Fundraiser on ...
- A first volunteer jobSept. 16: Portia writes: “I got my first volunteer work” – a Friday evening stint volunteering at Festival in the Park on Sept. 25. “We all have got to start somewhere, ...
- Sept. 6: Friends Indeed!
- Sept. 5: First football
- Getting acclimatedSept. 2: Portia writes: “My classes have been demanding. I’m enjoying my math a lot because I need extra help with that so I look forward to class for that new ...
- ‘I’m going to make you all proud’Aug. 25: Portia addresses the Tuesday Morning Breakfast Forum in Charlotte.
- Posing with Queen Go GoAug. 25: Portia Motsapi, right, poses for a photo with Sarah Stevenson at the Tuesday Morning Breakfast Forum. In impromptu remarks, Motsapi thanked Forum participants who had donated money to ...
- Hugs for Queen Go Go
- Portia’s long flight overAug. 22: “Geri and I picked Portia up at the airport this morning,” Natheley writes. “She’s adorable. “We took Portia by JCSU on our way back from the airport and introduced ...
- Arriving at Gate …Aug. 21: Geri reports that, by way of Atlanta, Portia is due to arrive in Charlotte Saturday morning!
- Visa releasedAug. 18: Geri reports that Portia’s visa was released today. “She is working with her NYC sponsors to obtain her flight itinerary.”
- Pledge now and plan to attend Sarah’s 90th Birthday PartyAug. 14, 2015 Sarah Stevenson likes to party. For a purpose. Please join her friends and family and well-wishers on Sunday, Oct. 25 in Grimes Lounge on the Johnson C. Smith University ...
- Portia may be on wayAug. 13: Sarah reports that Portia may be arriving as early as this Saturday or Sunday!
- Both students delayedAug. 9: Sarah reports that Portia will be delayed in arriving in Charlotte for awhile, and John will postpone his arrival until time for JCSU’s spring semester. All funds donated ...
- One arrival may be delayedAug. 5: The donor who promised an airline ticket missed a meeting with John. Hopefully the donor will keep his promise, but as of today we’re not sure when John will ...
- Sarah makes another pleaAug. 4: Sarah announced today that she needed more donors to step up. John and Portia “are still scheduled to be here this Sunday.”
- Registration confirmedAug. 2: “I did receive a call today from Dean Hurd confirming their class registration and housing assignment. What a blessing.” – Geri Crooks
- Sarah issues a challengeJuly 28: Sarah Stevenson stood before the Tuesday Morning Breakfast Forum and said she was prepared to empty her personal bank accounts to make good on a promise. More on ...
- Immediate need: $10,000July 28: “There is an outstanding balance of $10,000 of the $26,000 required for Portia and John to attend JCSU for one semester.” – Natheley McElrath
- Arriving soonJuly 27: “We were very pleased to learn at yesterday’s meeting that our two students will be arriving Aug. 8 or 9 with the hope of starting at JCSU on ...
- H. Allen Smith keynotes 2015 Growing the Dream Awards LuncheonJan. 17, 2015 Dr. H. Allen Smith inspired the creation of Charlotte’s Growing the Dream Awards ceremony in 2014 when he was an area superintendent under Heath Morrison. Then he was ...
- The First Stevenson Scholarship Fund ConcertJan. 13, 2013 Dozens of people attended, and even more contributed, to Sunday’s successful launch of the Sarah and Sammy Stevenson Endowed Scholarship Fund at Johnson C. Smith University. AME Zion Church ...
- Remembering the Eastside CouncilFeb. 28, 2007 Discussing the Eastside Council on Civic Affairs, from left: Jim Polk, Henry Wallace, Sarah Stevenson, Willie Davis, Leroy Polk and Malachi Greene. More here.
- Fundraising with the StroudsMarch 2, 2006 Sarah Stevenson joined Gerson and Daisy Stroud in a fund-raiser to create scholarships at the Gerson L. and Daisy Spears Stroud Foundation.
- Women’s Equality Day 2005Aug. 28, 2005 Sarah Stevenson was co-chair of the Women’s Commission Advisory Board as the group honored four women and one business at a ceremony at Marshall Park.
- ‘Honoring those who came first’Feb. 26, 2005 This Black History Month feature in the Charlotte Observer includes a picture of Sarah Stevenson taken for brochures in her 1980 bid for a CMS school board seat.
- Law Day 2005May 1, 2004 John Lewis was guest speaker at the Mecklenburg Bar’s annual Law Day observance.
- National Day of PrayerMay 3, 2002 Sarah Stevenson’s hands caught the attention of an Observer photographer at the Charlotte observance of National Day of Prayer on May 2.
- Forum Christmas Party 2001Dec. 18, 2001 Below is a program for the Tuesday Forum’s 2001 Christmas Party, held at McDonald’s Restaurant on Beatties Ford Road.
- Regional honors for support of human relations activitiesOct. 24, 2000 Sarah Stevenson was among those honored for her support of human rights activities at a regional honors ceremony in Cramerton sponsored by the Gaston Human Relations Commission and ...
- Freedom Fund Banquet 2000Aug. 25, 2000 Sarah Stevenson was to be among those honored at the NAACP’s Freedom Fund Banquet.
- A note of congratulationsAug. 30, 1998 Jim Wright’s note about the 1998 Women’s Equality Day Award.
- 18th Annual Women’s Equality Day AwardsAug. 26, 1998 Sarah Stevenson and Annelle Houk of the League of Women Voters headlined the 18th Annual Women’s Equality Day/150th Anniversary of the Women’s Rights Movement Celebration at Charlotte’s Grady ...
- Tom Bush letter on Minority Affairs Advisory workJan. 28, 1998 Tom Bush was chair of the Mecklenburg Board of County Commissioners when this note was written.
- Election returns from county commissioners primaryMay 7, 1996 Sarah Stevenson was bested by Hoyle Martin in the May 1996 Democratic primary for the District 2 seat on the Mecklenburg Board of County Commissioners. The full PDF ...
- Endorsed for county board seatApril 29, 1996 Sarah Stevenson was among those endorsed by the Charlotte Observer in the run-up to the May 6, 1996 primary election.
- Honored on Women’s Equality DayAug. 26, 1995 Sarah Stevenson received this commendation for volunteer service in conjunction with Charlotte-Mecklenburg’s celebration of Women’s Equality Day.
- CRC honor for volunteer serviceJune 1, 1995 Sarah Stevenson is honored for volunteer work with the Community Relations Committee.
- Mecklenburg Bar’s Liberty Bell AwardMay 4, 1995 Sydnor Thompson gave this presentation when Sarah Stevenson was named the 1995 winner of the Mecklenburg Bar’s Liberty Bell Award, “honoring an individual who has performed community service ...
- Life membership in NANBPWCJuly 23, 1993 Sarah Stevenson pays her fee for lifetime membership in the National Association of Negro Business & Professional Women’s Association, Inc.
- 1992 Woman of the YearJan. 27, 1993 Sarah Stevenson was honored as 1992 Woman of the Year. This clipping appears to be from the Charlotte Post.
- ‘Save Our Children’ program, 1991July 11, 1991 This Charlotte Post article notes a social function for children and their parents who were involved in a support program at the Anita Stroud Program at Fairview Homes. ...
- School board candidates debate busingApril 15, 1988 The Charlotte Observer offered this synopsis of the conversation among 14 school board candidates in the days leading up to a May 3 election for five seats.
- A thank-you from Bob WaltonJune 1, 1987 County Commissioner Rev. Bob Walton sent a clipping and a thank you to Sarah Stevenson for her part in headlining a successful fundraiser for the Afro-American Cultural Center.
- ‘Queen of the Nile’ fundraiser nets $9,000May 21, 1987 The Charlotte Post reported on the Afro-American Cultural Center’s first fundraiser.
- Leading a bond campaignOct. 3, 1986 Sarah Stevenson, at podium, was co-chair of the county’s 1986 bond campaign.
- Stevenson ‘a force for … quiet, lasting, stable change’Jan. 22, 1986 An Observer editorial marks the award of the Community Relations Committee’s Martin Luther King Jr. Award to Sarah Stevenson.
- Sarah Stevenson DayFeb. 24, 1985 An Observer report on how about 100 people gathered to honor Sarah Stevenson at a salute by the Black Women’s Caucus. Mayor Harvey Gantt and Commissioners Chair Carly ...
- Sworn in for 2nd school board termAug. 14, 1984 Photo shows the swearing-in ceremony for the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education. Left to right: Ward McKeithen, Saran Stevenson, Don Austin, Carrie Winter, Betsy Bennett and Judge James B. ...
- Leaving leadership role in business women’s groupJuly 19, 1984 Members honored Sarah Stevenson at the conclusion of a term as president of the Charlotte chapter of the National Association of Negro Business and Professional Women’s Clubs, Inc. ...
- 1984 election to school board certifiedMay 4, 1984 Sarah Stevenson saved her certificate of having been re-elected to the CMS Board of Education.
- Acknowledgement for Resolutions Committee workMarch 12, 1983 Sarah Stevenson received this certificate for her work with the Southeast District of the National Association of Negro Business and Professional Women’s Clubs, Inc.
- Speech by Joseph LoweryMarch 10, 1983 The Rev. Joseph Lowery was third president of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference on the day he spoke to a Charlotte audience.
- Charlotte Post’s Unique Black Women recognitionFeb. 10, 1983 In an interview with the Charlotte Post, Sarah Stevenson focused on black students having higher expectations for themselves, and greater parent involvement in education.
- Mayor Knox’s Certificate of MeritSept. 29, 1982 Charlotte Mayor Eddie Knox presented this certificate of merit to Sarah Stevenson.
- The beginnings of the Tuesday ForumAug. 3, 1982 This Observer article notes two things about the Forum: The Forum was called into being by a letter signed by Phil Berry, Sarah Stevenson and the Rev. George Battle. ...
- Black Female Church Forum plannedSept. 10, 1981 Sarah Stevenson was among the speakers at the first Black Female Church Forum held at First United Presbyterian Church, 201 E. 7th St.
- Progress toward women’s rights?Aug. 27, 1981 In an Observer news story about the prospects for the Equal Rights Amendment, reporter Wendy Fox catalogued the “the progress – measurable if not, some would say, astounding ...
- ‘Charlotte-Mecklenburg Story’ listingDec. 9, 1980 Sarah Stevenson joins the school board. From the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Story:
- Observer on candidates in CMS board runoffJune 2, 1980 This is a Charlotte Observer report on the candidates in the runoff election for four school board seats.
- 1980 election flierMay 6, 1980 An election flier from Sarah Stevenson’s first run for public office as a member of the CMS Board of Education.
- 1976 profile of Sarah StevensonOct. 13, 1976 The Observer’s Vanessa Gallman apparently wrote this Observer profile in connection with a UNCC class studying “Black Women in America.”
- NAACP outstanding service awardApril 1, 1974 Sarah Stevenson received an outstanding service award from the NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund at its annual meeting.
- Successful end to a band uniform fund-raiserNov. 24, 1971 Charlotte Observer librarian Maria David published this online “Retro Charlotte” column on Nov. 30, 2016 under the headline, “West Charlotte’s Marching Lions and their really good day, 1971.” The ...
- PTA Council Annual MeetingApril 22, 1971 Sarah Stevenson saved this program from the 1971 annual meeting of the PTA Council over which she presided as president. The meeting marked the end of her one-year ...
- Swann v Mecklenburg argued at the Supreme CourtOct. 12, 1970 Julius Chambers argued the Swann v Mecklenburg case before the U.S. Supreme Court on this day. Here are some pictures Sarah Stevenson saved from a visit to the ...
- Sarah Stevenson elected PTA Council presidentApril 24, 1970 The Observer’s report on the PTA Council meeting at which Sarah Stevenson was elected president.
- Report on CPA candidates at forumApril 24, 1970 An Observer report on a candidate forum in 1970 in which Concerned Parents Association candidates Bill Booe, Tom Harris and Jane Scott.